Google My Business Listings: Now Short Names and URLs Can Be Availed by Online Business Firms
According to the report by Blumenthal, a local guide of Google, Google My Business is soon to unleash a new feature of creating short names and URL for getting recognized by the potential customers easily.
A short name is a unique name which represents your brand, business name, location and other important information. Only the verified business firms can avail this feature on Google My Business. It’s a fresh feature so it will be reaching the masses gradually.
The companies can use the short URLs on brochures, posters and business cards. It will help the customers to have thorough insight into your services and products and you can get authentic reviews from your customers online. It will help them find you, contact you and reach out to you following the address listed.
The format for the URL is g. page/[yourcustomname] where the name requires at least five characters. The business firms will be benefitted from this as the customer will navigate to the URL, they will end up landing at business listing page on the Google Maps.
How to get a custom URL for a Google+ Page
To get a customized URL, your account needs to be in good standing and meet a few other requirements.
For local Google+ pages: Must be a verified local business
For all other Google+ Pages: Must be linked to a website
Get your custom URL
If you meet the requirements above you should follow these instructions:
- Sign in to Google My Business and choose the page you’d like to manage. Place your cursor in the top left corner for the Google + main menu and then click Google+ Page.
- Click the About tab, and under “Get your customized URL”, click Get URL. If your page isn’t eligible, you won’t be able to see the message.
- You’ll see the customized URL you’ve been approved for, which you aren’t able to change. You may also need to add a few letters or numbers to make it unique to you.
- Click the box next to “I agree to the Terms of Service” then click Change URL in the bottom-left corner.
- You may be asked to verify your account using your mobile phone number. To do this, you’ll need to:
- Enter your mobile phone number when prompted, then click Send code in the bottom- left corner.
- Check your phone for the code that was sent to you.
- Enter that code in the box on your screen, then click Verify in the lower left corner.
- This URL will be linked to your Google+ page or profile, so make sure that everything is exactly the way you want it. Once your URL has been approved, you cannot request to change it. When you’re certain, click Confirm choice.
Changing capitalization or accents of your custom URL
If you want to change the capitalization or accents/diacritics of your customized URL, follow these steps:
- Sign in to Google My Business. Place your cursor in the top left corner for the Google + main menu and then click Google+ Page.
- Click the About tab, and under Links > Google+ URL, click Edit.
- A box will appear allowing you to make edits to the formatting.
Remember, you can only change the capitalization and diacritics of the URL, not the URL itself.
Many businesses use Google My Business to reach their potential customers, the custom URL will help the customers find you easily.